Saturday, September 15, 2012

Another Day


Friday, my students began sharing their insect reports. Some even brought in insects to share. We had a cricket, butterfly, and a banana spider. We had planned on letting them go during recess, but it rained. Luckily, we were able to give them their freedom right before school let out. The insects were the highlight of the day. Some asked if they could bring some more in next week. I guess I will continue to allow it as long as we are still sharing our reports.

I made it through the first half of the quarter. Interims went out Friday. My third graders didn't do to bad, either. I don't know what their parents will say or what grades they are used to seeing, but I wasn't surprised. The scores I saw reflected what they are actually doing.

I also was able to do 2 QRI's, Friday. Unfortunately, I have  to redo them because they scored frustrated at the levels tested. I was disappointed. However, I might have been surprised, too, had they scored instuctional or independent. I have 18 to do before the end of the month.

We are doing our second grade screening next week, too. There is no third grade screener. So the state wants us to use the second grade screener. We are doing an old OAA the following week. This will probably be a truer reflection on what the students can do. They will have to read the instructions for themselves. With the second grade screener, we read it to them. I will feel better when all of the assessing is finished this month.

5 comments:

  1. Wow you do really have to do A LOT of assessing within the first month of school. I guess this way you can see where your students are but I am surprised you already start giving old OAA tests to see students levels. Good luck with all your assessments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am almost finished. Then the real stuff begins next wee- OAA Testing.

      Delete
  2. Pam, I like how you made your wordle with your students' name. It's a very sweet idea. Good luck with the school year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like the insect reports have proven to be very meaningful for your students. I am sure they are learning a lot! Are you taking pictures of the insects that they are bringing in to share? I bet the banana spider was interesting. I don't think I have seen one of those before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have taken a picture of the banana spider. It was yellow with black stripes. When we let it go, we all stood back as far as possible. It was big and scary looking. I'm just happy that the student who did his report on the tarantula didn't bring one in:)

      Delete